The Glorious Compass Rose
The Compass Rose is symbol today identifying those who belong to the worldwide Anglican Communion. This emblem was originally designed in 1954 by the late Rev. Canon Edward West, sub-dean of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in New York City. The Compass Rose was set in the nave of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Canterbury, England, Mother Church of the Anglican World. It was dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, at the final Eucharist of the Lambeth Conference in 1988. He also dedicated a similar Compass Rose in the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul (National Cathedral) in Washington, D.C. in 1990 as well as one in St. John’s Cathedral in New York.
At the center of the emblem is the red cross of St. George on a silver shield, a reminder of the origins of the Anglican Communion in the Church of England. Encircling the cross is a band bearing the New Testament Greek inscription, "The truth shall make you free", an inspiration to us all. The points of a compass reflect the spread of Anglican Christianity throughout the world. The miter at the top indicates the role of Episcopacy and Anglican Order that is at the heart of the traditions of the Churches of the Communion.
Replicated in polished pewter and a lovely gold plate by Canterbury Pewter of Fredericksburg, Virginia, the Compass Rose is offered today in a growing array of liturgical pieces for Parish and Clergy; for Acolytes and Choir; for lay readers; for Parish Awards Programs; and, for special gifts and lady’s wear.
See photo above of the three sizes of necklaces in the two finishes offered... polished pewter and the antique gold. And, see all pieces with their sizes described in the buying listing below.
Back to: Products